Thursday, March 11, 2010

Springtime in Southern Arizona

Great rain this winter--the best in, what? Twelve years? Result--the worst allergy season I've had since I suffered through seven weeks in San Antonio during juniper season in early 2004. The locals there call the juniper "mountain cedar," and when it comes into season, the allergens waft down from the hills like a fog and settle in like Crockett and Bowie and Travis in 1836!

I thank my Creator that this winter hasn't been that bad, but it's been bad enough.

It almost makes me long for the other season--you know, the one that I hate worse than fried okra and liver--the one whose name we do not say lest we plunge into depression. The one that, God willin' and the creek don't rise, I'll escape from one of these days when Bobbe (sis) and I toodle off to Cuenca, Ecuador, with the two pooches--to that cool, comfortable, pueblo in the Andes known for its beauty, graciousness, and cleanliness.

Ay, Dios mio. Ojala que sea pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment